As part of our commitment to building scientific knowledge of the evidence base for parenting support, we publish papers in peer reviewed journals to share our findings. We invite you to explore our publications in our year-by-year listings.
On this page you will find our most recent publications from 2015 to 2017. For past years explore the Related Articles tile.
- Bennetts, S.K., Mensah, F.K., Green, J., Hackworth, N.J., Westrupp, E.M. & Reilly, S. (2017). Mothers' experiences of parent-reported and video-recorded observational assessments. Journal of Child and Family Studies. DOI: 10.1007/s10826-017-0826-1.
- Crawford, S., Green, J., Bennetts, S.K., et al. (2017). 'Worries’, ‘weirdos', neighbourhoods and knowing people: A qualitative study with parents and children of children’s independent mobility. Health and Place, 45: 135-139.
- Cyril, S., Green, J., Nicholson, J. M. N., Agho, K., Polonsky, M. & Renzaho, A. (2017). Using the nominal group technique to examine the barriers and facilitators to childhood obesity prevention among culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities in Victoria, Australia. Australia New Zealand Journal Public Health, http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/1753-6405.12648.
- Macvean, M., Shlonsky, A., Mildon, R. & Devine, B. (2017). Parenting interventions for Indigenous child psychosocial functioning: A scoping review. Research on Social Work Practice. 27(3), 307-344.(Previously listed as advance online publication, 2015) DOI: 10.1177/1049731514565668.
- Maybery, D., Goodyear, M., Reupert, A., Sheen, J., Cann, W., Dalziel, K., Tchernagovski, P., O’Hanlon, B & von Doussa, H. (2017). Developing an Australian-first recovery model for parents in Victorian mental health and family services: a study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. BMC Psychiatry, 17:198, DOI: 10.1186/s12888-017-1357-4.
- Cook, F., Giallo, R., Petrovic, Z., Coe, A., Seymour, M. & Cann, W. (2016). Depression and anger in fathers of unsettled infants: A community cohort study. Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health. DOI:10.1111/jpc.13311. Online September 2016.
- Cooklin, A.R., Westrupp, E.M., Strazdins, L., Martin, A., Giallo, R., & Nicholson, J.M. (2016). Fathers at work: Work-family conflict, work-family enrichment and parenting in an Australian cohort. Journal of Family Issues. 37(11), 1611-1635.
- Cyril, S., Green, J., Polonsky, M., Agho, K. & Renzaho, A. (2016). Readiness of communities to engage with childhood obesity prevention initiatives in disadvantaged areas of Victoria, Australia. Australian Health Review. DOI:org/10.1071/AH16069.
- Cyril. S., Halliday, J., Green, J. & Renzaho. (2016). Relationship between body mass index and family functioning, family communication, family type and parenting style among African migrant parents and children in Victoria, Australia: A parent-child dyad study. BMC Public Health, 15: 707. DOI: 10.1186/s12889-016-3394-1.
- Fisher, J., Rowe, H., Wynter, K., Tran, T., Lorgelly, P., Amir, L.H.. Proimos, J., Ranasinha, S., Hiscock, H., Bayer, J. & Cann, W. (2016). Gender-informed, psychoeducational programme for couples to prevent postnatal common mental disorders among primiparous women: cluster randomised controlled trial. BMJ Open. 2016;6:e009396. DOI:10.1136/bmjopen-2015-009396.
- Goodyear, M., Maybery, D., Reupert, A., Allchin, R., Fraser, C., Fernbacher, S. & Cuff, R. (2016). Thinking families: A study of the characteristics of the workforce that delivers family-focussed practice. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing. DOI: 10.1111/inm.12293
- Hackworth, N.J., Berthelsen, D., Matthews, J., Westrupp, E.M., Cann, W., Ukoumunne, O.C., Bennetts, S.K., Phan, T., Scicluna, A., Trajanovska, M., Yu, M. & Nicholson. J.M. (2016). Impact of a Brief Group Intervention to Enhance Parenting and the Home Learning Environment for Children Aged 6-36 Months: a Cluster Randomised Controlled Trial. Prevention Science. DOI: 10.1007/s11121-017-0753-9.
- Man, W., Wade., C. & Llewellyn, G. (2016). Prevalence of parents with intellectual disabilities in Australia. Journal of Intellectual & Developmental Disability. doi: 10.3109/13668250.2016.1218448.
- Nicholson, J.M., Cann, W., Matthews, J., Berthelsen, D., Ukoumunne, O.C., Trajanovska, M., Bennetts, S.K., Hillgrove, T., Hamilton, V., Westrupp, E. & Hackworth, N.J. (2016). Enhancing the early home learning environment: Study protocol and baseline sample characteristics for a cluster randomised controlled trial of a brief parenting group intervention with home coaching. BMC Pediatrics. 16:73. DOI 10.1186/s12887-016-0610-1.
- O’Connor, A., Nolan, A., Bergmeier, H., Hooley, M. Olsson, C., Cann, W., Williams-Smith, J. & Skouteris, H. (in press). Early childhood education and care educators supporting parent-child relationships: A systematic literature review. Early Years: An international research journal. Accepted 30 August 2016.
- Rayner, M., Dimovski, A., Muscara, F., Yamada, J., Burke, K., McCarthy, M., Hearps, S. J. C., Anderson, V. A., Coe, A., Hayes, L., Walser, R. & Nicholson, J. M. (2016). Participating From the Comfort of Your Living Room: Feasibility of a Group Videoconferencing Intervention to Reduce Distress in Parents of Children With a Serious Illness or Injury. Child & Family Behavior Therapy, 38:3, 209-224. DOI:10.1080/07317107.2016.1203145. Online September 2016.
- Chau, V. & Giallo, R. (2015). The relationship between parental fatigue, parenting self-efficacy and behaviour: Implications for supporting parents in the early parenting period. Child: Care Health and Development. 1(4), 626-633.
- Cook, F., Seymour, M., Giallo, R., Cann, W., Nicholson, J., Green, J. & Hiscock, H. (2015). Comparison of methods for recruiting and engaging parents in online interventions: Study protocol for the Cry Baby infant sleep and settling program. BMC Paediatrics. 15:174. DOI 10.1186/s12887-015-0502-9.
- Cooklin, A.R., Westrupp, E.M., Strazdins, L., Giallo, R., Martin, A. & Nicholson, J.M. (2015). Mothers’ work-family conflict and enrichment: Associations with parenting quality and couple relationship. Child: Care, Health & Development. 1(2), 266-277. DOI:10.1111/cch.12137.
- Giallo, R., Cooklin, A., Dunning, M., Seymour, M, Loutzenhiser, L. & McAuslan (2015). Factors associated with the course of maternal fatigue across the early postnatal period. Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology. 33(5), 528-544.
- Giallo, R., Seymour, M., Matthews, J., Gavidia-Payne, S., Hudson, A. & Cameron, C. (2015). Risk factors associated with the mental health of fathers of children with an intellectual disability in Australia. Journal of Intellectual Disability Research. 59(3), 193-207.
- Hamilton, V., Matthews, J. & Crawford, S. (2015). Development and preliminary validation of a parenting self-regulation scale: “Me as a Parent”. Journal of Child & Family Studies. 24(10), 2853-2864. DOI 10.1007/s10826-014-0089-z
- Mallan, K.M., Daniels, L.A., Wilson, J., Jansen, E. & Nicholson, J.M. (2015). Association between maternal depressive symptoms in the early post-natal period and responsiveness in feeding at child age 2 years. Maternal and Child Nutrition. 11(4), 926-935. DOI: 10.1111/mcn.12116.
- Mei, C., Reilly, S., Reddihough, D., Mensah, F., Green, J., Pennington, L. & Morgan, A. (2015), Activities and participation of children with cerebral palsy: Parent perspectives. Disability and Rehabilitation. 37(23), 2164-2173.
- Renzaho, A., Halliday, J., Mellor, D. & Green, J. (2015) The Healthy Migrant Families Initiative: Development of a culturally competent obesity prevention intervention for African migrants. BMC Public Health. 15:272. IF 2.32.
- Seymour, M., Giallo, R., Cooklin, M. & Dunning, M. (2015). Maternal anxiety, risk factors and parenting in the first post-natal year. Child: Care, Health and Development. 41(2), 314-323.
- Sciberras, E., Westrupp, E.M., Wake, M., Nicholson, J.M., Lucas, N., Mensah, F., Gold, L. & Reilly, S.R. (2015). Healthcare costs associated with language difficulties up to 9 years of age: Australian population-based study. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology. 17(1), 51-52. DOI: 10.3109/17549507.2014.898095.
- Wade, C., Llewellyn, G. & Matthews J. (2015). Parent mental health as a mediator of contextual effects on parents with intellectual disabilities and their children. Clinical Psychologist, 19, 27–37.
- Wynter, K., Hammarberg, K., Sartore, G. M., Cann, W. & Fisher, J. (2015). Brief online surveys to monitor and evaluate facilitated peer support groups for caregivers of children with special needs. Evaluation and Program Planning, 49, 70-5. DOI:10.1016/j.evalprogplan.2014.12.01.